The FDA has deemed lead in our lipstick to be safe since it's not meant for consumption.
And there is no safe level of lead for children, whether it's consumed or not.
Exposure to lead can cause a range of problems from brain and blood disorders, kidney failure, nervous system disorders, lower IQ, miscarriage in women, and lower fertility in men.
And even though lipstick is not made for consumption they estimate that a woman who regularly wears make up will consume up to 7 pounds of lipstick in her lifetime!
Here are the Top Ten Offenders -- the lipsticks containing the MOST lead.
(notice that these are also the most heavily advertised brands- interesting to note)
The FDA tested and found the lipsticks containing the most lead (measured in parts per million) are:
1. Maybelline Color Sensational, Pink Petal (7.9 ppm)
2. L'Oreal Colour Riche, Volcanic, (7.0 ppm)
3. NARS Semi-Matte, Red Lizard (4.93 ppm)
4. Cover Girl Queen Collection, Ruby Remix, (4.92 ppm)
5. Nars Semi-Matte, Funny Face (4.89 ppm)
6. L'Oreal Colour Riche, Tickled Pink (4.45 ppm)
7. L'Oreal Intensely Moisturizing Lipcolor, Heroic (4.41 ppm)
8. Cover Girl Continuous Color, Warm Brick (4.28 ppm)
9. Maybelline Color Sensational, Mauve Me (4.23 ppm)
10. Stargazer Lipstick, #103 (4.12 ppm)
Read the entire article on Yahoo! HERE
www.thedailygreen.com has posted the TOP TEN LEAD FREE Lipsticks, as researched by
The Campaign For Safe Cosmetics
TOP TEN LEAD FREE
Name/Shade: Ultra Color Rich Cherry Jubilee
Brand: The Body Shop
Name/Shade: Lip Color Garnet
Name/Shade: Long Last Lipstick Merlot
Name/Shade: Replenishing Lip Color Red Premiere
Brand: Estee Lauder
Name/Shade: Matte Lipstick Viva Glam 1
Name/Shade: Superlustrous Love That Red
Name/Shade: Superlustrous Bed of Roses
Name/Shade: Colorstay Lipcolor Red Velvet
Name/Shade: Inside Out Vitamin Lipstick
I am surprised I don't see any organic lip sticks on the list. Maybe there aren't any? Maybe they were excluded from the tests? Have you found an organic lipstick you love????