Monday, April 9, 2012

A little story about Essential Oils

I took a beginner's course on using Essentual Oils for medicinal purposes.

I'm a little excited about it.

For example, this past weekend when my husband burned his thumb carrying a pot of boiling water to the sink instead of asking him if he was ok-- I leapt with glee and ran to get the lavender.

Then when my daughter complained of a tummy ache, I nearly didn't summersaults over to my little apothecary kit to get the fennel.

She was on the couch so I had her roll over and lift her shirt just a bit so I could rub a drop or 2 on her belly.
I twisted the cap and heard the satisfying crack of the seal. I tipped the bottle over and nothing came out.

So I gave my wrist a little jerk.

The dropped popped out of the bottle and the entire contents poured all over my daughter and the couch.
The entire house immediately smelled like black licorice.

If you are familiar at all with essential oils the truth is I got lucky. There are many smells worse than black licorice.

I sent my daughter to the shower and started working on the couch.
My daughter threw her shirt into the laundry room.
The next time I did laundry I absentmindedly picked up the shirt and threw it in with the load.

Imagine my surprise when I opened the washer and smelled, not one black licorice shirt, but an entire load of black licorice laundry. It was awesome. I felt like a rock star.

What can we all learn from this experience?
Essential oils are extremely potent. 30 drops of essential oil can fragrance 100 loads of laundry.
An entire jar spilled on one lonely shirt........that's a problem. I should have soaked the shirt in vinegar or sacrificed it to the garbage can. So be careful with your oils my friends. Be very careful.

No comments:

Post a Comment