Thursday, January 19, 2012

Recipe: Double-Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies


Last night I was having a major cookie craving after the kids went to bed. I knew these cookies would be my best and fastest option. They are chewy and chocolatey and I only have to wait about a half hour to get one into my face. Perfecto!

Did I mention they have oats and whole wheat and antioxidant rich cocoa powder? Also, the recipe only calls for one egg, remember these chocolate delights for those times when you need to bake but only have a lone egg left in the fridge.

Double-Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

1 stick butter
½ cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 ¼ cups flour (I used whole wheat)
3 tablespoons cocoa
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 ¼ cups oats (I used rolled)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350° F.
Cream the butter and brown sugar together in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the egg and vanilla.
Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and soda, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
Add flour mixture to butter mixture and mix well. Add the oats until completely moistened and then stir in the chocolate chips.
Drop heaping tablespoonfuls onto a baking sheet (flatten slightly with your fingers as these cookies don’t spread while baking). Bake for 9-11 minutes. I would say closer to 8 or 9 minutes—DO NOT OVERBAKE, the cookies will still be very soft. Let them finish baking on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes before letting them cool completely on a wire rack.
Makes 18 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment