Saturday, February 11, 2012

Recipe: Baked Kale Chips

Kale is a leafy green in the cabbage family. It can be baked into a light crispy chip in a matter of minutes. A great snack to munch on instead of potato chips or cookies. Experiment with seasonings to mix it up and keep it exciting. For this recipe I went with a basic Seasoning Salt.
 Preheat over to 400 degrees. Wash your Kale. It's very curly so I make sure to get in between the curls on both sides. Then pat dry with a paper towel.
Cut the stalks off and discard (or feed to your guinea pig, chickens, or compost pile). Cut or tear them into bite sized pieces and arrange on a cook sheet.



Using a brush, lightly oil the Kale on 1 side with olive oil, or your favorite oil. In a pinch you can spray with a cooking spray. Then sprinkle on your favorite seasons. Salt and Pepper. Seasoning Salt. Garlic Salt. Be adventurous. Bake in the over for up to 10 minutes. Check them after 5. They brown quickly! If it's really thick Kale you might need to turn them once. They are done when they are light, crispy, and browned on the edges. Taste test one to doneness, you don't want them chewy.

I attempted to store the left overs in an air tight container and they immediately started wilting again. So I suggest making just enough to serve immediately. My first child tolerated them. My second child loved them. And my third child wouldn't even try one. I'd love to hear how this went down in YOUR house.

No comments:

Post a Comment