Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Whole Foods Shopping Trip January 2012


Whole Foods is about 30 minutes from my house. It takes $3 in gas to get there.
So whenever I consider a shopping trip I take into consideration it is going to cost me an additional hour's time and $6 in gas. The deals need to be spectacular.

On Monday, however, I found myself up the street from Whole Foods and about 45 minutes of time to kill. So I scooped up all my organic coupons and took a stroll.

I walked in to the glorious produce department. They do a really great job decorating with crates and displays. You feel like you are at an outdoor market-- until you see the prices-- and then you quickly look to your left and right-- wondering if there is a bouncer to kick out the riff raff. $7.99 for a small bunch of asparagus! $3.99 a pound for apples! GAH! No wonder people feel organic is so unattainable. I quickly left the produce and pulled out my list.

I forgot how completely overwhelmed I get by this place. I don't know where anything is. I can't identify half the merchandise.  Do I eat that? Is that medicine or shampoo? Do you eat that raw or cook it? Oh no- I forgot my reusable bags. Now I'm scum.

I ended up purchasing $34 worth of stuff for $18. Then add the $6 in gas and I only saved $10.  A good deal, but not sure it was worth the stress.
And it all fit into one paper bag, so I'm only a little scum.

Here are my thoughts on Whole Foods. Leave Whole Foods until you are already up to your neck in organics. Do not start your conversion there. Start with the cheaper and more accessible lines at Target like Yes To Carrots and Burt's Bees. Try Safeway's Open Nature line and O Organics. Check for organic on sale at the Grocery Outlet and CVS. I am going to forgot about Whole Foods for a few months and instead explore Trader Joes.

(I will still post the Whole Foods sales though, courtesy of The Frugal Find.)

I did find one amazing deal there and I will post about it later today!





2 comments:

  1. What an awesome read this blog is! I do fancy Trader Joes quite a bit. Their roducts are actually affordable (well, at least only the stuff I buy because those are the things I can afford :)).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading Margaret! I am pretty new to Trader Joes, have any tips you want to share?

    ReplyDelete